Here (a little late) are my monthly statistics for August:
- 7,800 new words of fiction written this month. 1
- 24 first drafts currently in progress. 2
- 9 first draft currently "ripening" before second draft. 3
- 4 second drafts currently in progress
- 1 second draft currently in the hands of "trusted readers."
- 5 third drafts currently in progress.4
- 0 third drafts currently awaiting polishing.
- 0 fourth draft in currently in progress.
- 1 rewrite in progress of stories previously sent out, based on comments from friends.
- 2 rewrites (at request of editors) currently in progress.
- 10 stories currently submitted to markets5
- 980 words in shortest story currently submitted.
- 8,700 words in longest story currently submitted.
- 0 offers of publication received this month.
- Longest current wait without response: 229 days.
1 Not bad, considering that I was on vacation for two weeks and preparing for classes the last week.
2 I always have a lot of first drafts "in progress," until one of them really grabs me and I work on it obsessively. Right now there are two stories that are really "active."
3 I employ a six-week "ripening" period for first drafts.
4 Still need to whittle down this list.
5Two of these are stories that have already been published, but I’m now submitting to audio and/or non-English markets.
I’m going to turn my attention to revisions for a while. I want to finalize one or two of my 3rd or 4th drafts, and create a 2nd draft I can show to friends. So probably September will be a weak month for new "words written."
But I still have two first drafts from my Kickstarter project to complete, and those will definitely get done. Possibly not in September, though.
Leave a Reply