Here are my monthly statistics for July:
- 14,600 new words of fiction written this month. 1
- 25 first drafts currently in progress. 2
- 7 first draft currently "ripening" before second draft. 3
- 4 second drafts currently in progress
- 0 second drafts currently in the hands of "trusted readers."
- 5 third drafts currently in progress.4
- 0 third drafts currently awaiting polishing.
- 0 fourth draft in currently in progress.
- 1 rewrite in progress of stories previously sent out, based on comments from friends.
- 1 rewrite (at request of editors) currently in progress.
- 10 stories currently submitted to markets5
- 950 words in shortest story currently submitted.
- 8,700 words in longest story currently submitted.
- 1 offer of publication received this month. 6
- Longest current wait without response: 195 days.
1 Strong month (for me). With June, the best two-month sequence I’ve ever had.
2 I always have a lot of first drafts "in progress," until one of them really grabs me and I work on it obsessively. Right now there are two stories that are really "active."
3 I employ a six-week "ripening" period for first drafts.
4Definitely time to whittle down this list.
5Two of these are stories that have already been published, but I’m now submitting to audio and/or non-English markets.
6The sale of "Six Drabbles of Separation" to The Drabblecast.
The Kickstarter funding means that I’ve been focusing on first drafts since June. So I have more new first drafts and first drafts in progress, but no movement on the other drafts. I’m probably going to take a few days and prepare some drafts for comments and submission.
August is likely to be comparatively light, because we’ll be on vacation for nearly two weeks and then I’ll need to prepare for the Fall classes. Once I finish my six Kickstarter drafts, I’m likely to spend a lot of time on second, third, and fourth drafts, to get things out the door.