Here are my monthly stats for March:
- 6,500 new words of fiction written this month. 1
- 15 first drafts currently in progress. 2
- 1 first draft currently "ripening" before second draft. 3
- 1 second draft currently in progress
- 0 second draft currently in the hands of "trusted readers."
- 2 third drafts currently in progress.4
- 1 third draft currently awaiting polishing.
- 1 fourth draft in currently in progress.
- 12 stories currently submitted to markets5
- 100 words in shortest story currently submitted.
- 8,700 words in longest story currently submitted.
- 0 offers of publication received this month.
- Longest current wait without response: 314 days.
1 More than January or February, more than my median, but still not very good. My March excuse is Clarion: Between all my excited planning (and doing things to raise money to go there 😛 ), I’ve been distracted from writing new stuff. Still, I did complete a new first draft.
2 I always have a lot of first drafts "in progress," until one of them really grabs me and I work on it obsessively. This month I was mostly working on a time-dilation story.
3 I employ a six-week "ripening" period for first drafts.
4 These have been stuck, stuck, stuck for a long time. They’re stories where the second drafts were so badly flawed that I had to start from scratch again. And then I did, and sort of lost steam; it’s hard to muster enthusiasm for the task. But I had three on this list last month; one of them is actually off the table and has been converted into a finished third draft! Very happy about that.
5 I sent two off just today: one new sub, one resub. The number would be higher, but (a) I’m trying to figure out where to send the 14,000 word fantasy novelette next, and (b) I want to see what K.D. had to say about the semifinalist story on WotF and possibly revise it before sending out again.