Here are my statistics for January:
- 6,200 new words of fiction written this month. 1
- 13 first drafts currently in progress. 2
- 1 first draft currently "ripening" before second draft. 3
- 0 second drafts currently in progress
- 1 second draft currently in the hands of "trusted readers."
- 3 third drafts currently in progress.4
- 0 third drafts currently awaiting polishing.
- 0 fourth drafts in currently in progress.
- 11 stories currently submitted to markets5
- 60 words in shortest story currently submitted.
- 14,000 words in longest story currently submitted.
- 0 offers of publication received this month.
- Longest current wait without response: 256 days.
1 This is about the median production per month. Lower than it should be, but still something. About half of this was a single rush of writing I did on a new story idea yesterday.
2I always have a lot of first drafts "in progress," until one of them really grabs me and I work on it obsessively. There’s a new story in this bunch.
3 I employ a six-week "ripening" period for first drafts. The one in the incubator now is a 950-word SF piece.
4 Two of these have been dogging my steps for months. The third is a story on which I just had substantial comments, and which is going to need substantial revision.
5 This was the first month since I started recording in which I have not made a new submission. The reason the submissions are higher than before is that I made two submissions today.