Here are my monthly stats for October
- 4,400 new words of fiction written this month. 1
- 15 first drafts currently in progress. 2
- 1 first draft currently "ripening" before second draft. 3
- 0 second drafts currently in progress
- 1 second draft currently in the hands of "trusted readers."
- 3 third drafts currently in progress.4
- 0 third drafts currently awaiting polishing.
- 0 fourth drafts in currently in progress.
- 6 stories currently submitted to markets
- 1,400 words in shortest story currently submitted.
- 7,000 words in longest story currently submitted.
- 0 offers of publication received this month.
1 Better than September, but that’s not saying much. I blame the election.
2 I always have a lot of first drafts "in progress," until one of them really grabs me and I work on it obsessively.
3 I employ a six-week "ripening" period for first drafts. Two of the three drafts here are actually ready for revision into second drafts; I just haven’t got around to them yet.
4 Still bottlenecked. Will persevere. Election’s over; time to get to work.