Here’s my monthly tally for April:
- 9,100 new words of fiction written this month. *
- 10 first drafts currently in progress. †
- 2 first drafts currently “ripening” before second draft. **
- 0 second drafts currently in progress
- 0 second drafts currently in the hands of “trusted readers.”
- 1 third draft currently in progress.
- 0 third drafts currently awaiting polishing.
- 0 fourth drafts in currently in progress.
- 9 stories currently submitted to markets
- 60 words in shortest story currently submitted. ††
- 7,000 words in longest story currently submitted.
- 1 offer of publication received this month.
* More words than in March, but not nearly so many as in February. A lot of April was spent revising a first draft into a second draft, absorbing reviewers comments of the second draft, and beginning the third draft — hard work, but it doesn’t create a lot of “new words written.”
† I always have a lot of first drafts “in progress,” until one of them really grabs me and I work on it obsessively.
** I’m enforcing a six-week “ripening” period for first drafts at the moment.
†† The 60-word story was submitted to a drabble contest.